The most important thing is to choose outfits that you love and that you feel great wearing. You’ll want to wear what you normally wear but “kicked up a notch”. Add some jewelry, a hat, leggings, a scarf, a belt or some other accessory. Just be sure that the accessory is not so loud that it distracts from you. Mix up your clothing from dressy to casual— fun stuff you’d wear when you go out with your friends and something sophisticated that will work well when sending a photo in for college applications.
Pick out your clothes a few days before your session, make sure they are clean and free of stains, and (important) please iron them. Please choose at least 3 full outfits/looks for your session.
When deciding on what outfits to bring…
- Choose both casual and formal outfits to offer variety during the shoot.
- Incorporate a variety of colors that are still consistent with your everyday style. Solid colors work best—especially for studio portraits. Avoid horizontal stripes, loud patterns, neon colors and shirts with writing or big logos on the front.
- Avoid too much solid black. Break it up with other colors, textures and patterns.
- Regarding clothing colors, dark colors are slimming and perfect for studio shots. If you are having photos taken outdoors, wear a solid color or something with a splash of color to it for a nice contrast in your photos. Bring a variety of colors—not 3 blue outfits.
- Choose flattering fits, styles, and fabrics that complement your natural shape from all angles.
- Accessorize with hats, scarves, belts and jewelry but don’t go overboard. I recommend accessories like jackets, scarves etc. that can be added/removed to create different looks. Hats are great for a few shots, but please don’t wear one that will give you “hat head”.
- Never be afraid of incorporating patterns, as long as the pattern isn’t overwhelming.
- Be yourself and comfortable in your outfit choices so you can focus on the shoot, not fixing your clothes, throughout the session.
- Do not wear baggy clothing that may give the appearance that you are larger than you really are and avoid tight clothing that you are not comfortable in.
- Stay away from fabrics that are prone to wrinkling
- Be sure to pick out shoes to match each outfit.
Hair: Don’t try a new hairstyle the morning of your session. Play around with hairstyles in the days or weeks before and see what works and what doesn’t. You may even want to have a professional do this for you.
Nails: Your hands will be showing in many of your photos so make sure that they are groomed. Ladies try to stick with a neutral paint color!
Shaving: I know it may be obvious but ladies be sure to shave your legs or underarms if they will be shown in photos! Guys, make sure you are cleanly shaved!
Glasses: If you normally wear glasses but own contact lenses, please try to wear your contacts for the shoot. Studio light can cause an unwanted glare on lenses that is very hard to removed. If this is not an option, then I will do my best to avoid glare but cannot guarantee it!
Scars/Birth Marks/ Severe Acne: Scars and birth marks can be removed only at your request. Please tell me at the time of your session what your preference is. Severe acne may require extensive retouching. If extensive retouching is necessary, it will not be done on proofs, but will be done on the final images that you order.
- Props. Especially the ones that are apart of who you are. They can add so much to a photo and give it more of a story. Feel free to bring sport equipment, uniforms, trophies/medals, musical instruments, tap or ballet shoes, sunglasses, iPod, books, a college sweatshirt or whatever it is that represents your life change after high school!
- All outfits, ironed, and on hangers.
- Shoes for each outfit. Bring a pair of comfortable shoes as we will be moving around for outdoor sessions.
- Make sure you have all accessories and check that you have appropriate undergarments. (For example, ensure that bra straps don’t show.)
- Touch up stuff (makeup, hairspray, etc)
- If you plan to change your hair, pack necessary hair accessories.